Monday, March 2, 2020

One of the charities that will receive a $10,000 check at our upcoming 100th Anniversary Gala is the Boy Scouts of America. My father was an Eagle Scout so both my brother and I became scouts in our youth. My brother and I did not reach the rank of Eagle Scout but we both spent years in scouting, and we both are better people because of the knowledge we gained in scouting. 

The scout motto is "BE PREPARED"

This simple phase has stuck with me for my entire life. My family and my friends that have traveled with me have come to know that I always will have extra Advil or aspirin with me, a spare long sleeve T-shirt, a flashlight or an extra koozie for your beer. I have a checklist for packing for a trip so I don't forget something and I always check the weather before I go to see if I need to bring a raincoat or a down jacket. 

When I entered the business world I quickly realized that I needed to be more prepared. That next meeting, an important interview, a visit with a potential client, all of these events took preparation. And I could always tell in these meetings who came prepared and who did not. It was clear to me that the more prepared I was, the better the outcome! 

Many years ago I came across a quote that I really loved. It is still taped to my bathroom mirror in my home. It says: 

Preparation is Confidence; 
Everything else is Beyond your Control

No comments:

Post a Comment