Monday, February 24, 2020

Have you heard the song "You Find out Who Your Friends Are" by Tracy Lawrence? The words are: 

Run your car off the side of the road 

Get stuck in a ditch way out in the middle of nowhere 
Get yourself in a bind, lose the shirt off your back 
Need a floor, need a couch, need a bus back 


This is where the rubber meets the road 

This is where the cream is gonna rise 
This is what you really didn't know 
This is where the truth don't lie 


You find out who your friends are 

Somebody's gonna drop everything 
Run out and crank up their car 
Hit the gas ... get there fast 
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far.' They just show on up ... with their big ole heart 
You find out who you're friends are 

I have been blessed with an abundance of close friends in my life. They have been such a blessing to me in good times and tough times. I have friends from college, my Gator Bus friends, my cycling buddies, my business friends, my men's group friends, my PEER group friends and my friends associated with my kids youth. Other than my faith and my family, they are my most precious asset. 

Being a friend takes effort. And it takes time. And it takes patience. I have found that some friends are easier than others. No matter, if I get the call that they are on the side of the road, I'm going to show up. It's what friends do. 

In a recent Wall Street Journal article called "The Surprising Science Behind Friendship" the author writes that friendships help your cardiovascular system, your emotional health and also your happiness. She also states "Friendship is about setting up your life so you have people you can rely on when you need them". As the lyrics above state "You find out who your friends are"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment