Monday, August 24, 2020

Sometimes I wonder if we realize that someone is always watching us. All of us have someone who is following our lead. It could be a spouse, our kids, a coworker, a subcontractor or a client. Our outward appearance, our tone, our smile, how we handle tough situations, or how we celebrate successes, the people around you are watching. 

I think one of the most important roles of a parent is to be a good role model for our kids. Believe me they are watching. I had a friend that had a really fast car, and he would drive his two young sons around showing them how fast the car would go. Once they both began to drive, my friend couldn't figure out why they got so many speeding tickets. Along those lines, if your kids watch you be generous with the less fortunate, giving both your time and your resources, they too will see the value of this, and will also become generous. On the flip side, if you are nasty to the waitress, talk ugly to a neighbor or try and cheat the system, that's who they will also become. 

Having heroes and mentors is important. People who you admire and look up to help us set goals for who we want to become. Many times, our heroes are a teacher who we have connected with, a grandparent that shows us old school ways of doing things, a close friend that has a heart for listening, or a neighbor that we admire. I once had a neighbor named Norm that fell into this category. He and his wife walked and cycled together all the time. For his 60th birthday he asked his wife to cycle on a tandem bike 3000 miles across the country, unsupported! His wife obliged and they made it from California to St Augustine in 35 days! Whenever I would see Norm I would tell him he was my hero! Norm, always humble, would say I had very low standards for a hero. 

So, I ask you, who are you following? 

And maybe even more important, who is following you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment