Monday, August 3, 2020

I have been a lover of books from an early age. Both my mother and father were big readers. My 85-year-old mother still reads 30-40 books a year. It keeps her mind sharp. Both our daughters are avid readers. Our oldest daughter Jessica is a journalist, and so she is reading and writing daily. Our youngest daughter Kelly caught the reading bug her freshman year of college when she took a speed­reading course. It literally changed her life as she now reads 30-40 books a year and has a friendly competition with her grandmother every year.

I have found that reading has opened all kinds of new doors for me over the years. I enjoy books on history, Christianity, leadership, self-help, travel, investing, sports and always a good novel. I have read many 1000-page novels, many of them hard to put down because they were so interesting!

Reading at a young age is so important for a child and I would encourage parents to read, read, read to your kids! The kids that are voracious readers are almost always going to excel in school ... and in life!

Some of you have received a book or two from me over the years. I have loaned or given a lot of books away in hopes of sharing some good information, a good story or just a simple laugh. My wife Chris says that at my funeral there will be a requirement to bring a book that I may have given you, and that there will be a giant book swap. Sounds like a grand idea to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment