Monday, March 16, 2020

I recently read a book titled "Silence in the Age of Noise" by Erling Kagge. Mr Kagge is a Norwegian explorer who has trekked across the Antarctica, by himself, for 50 days. The premise of the book is that we are living in a world that is filled each day with more and more noise and that we should find time in our day to turn everything off and just ponder life. 

In chapter 8 he references a study done by Harvard and the University of Virginia where scientists left individuals alone in a room for 6 to 15 minutes without music, reading material, the chance to write or their cell phones. The participants ranged in age from 18 to 77 years old, yet the results were the same regardless. Most felt uncomfortable. A third of the participants that took the test at home admitted to breaking the rules. 

The scientist then took the study one step further, in order to see whether participants would rather do something unpleasant, such as receive an electrical shock, than sit alone in silence once again. Each participant had been subjected in advance to a similar electrical shock so they would know exactly how painful the option was. And it was painful! Nevertheless, nearly half of the subjects eventually pushed the button to administer an electrical shock in order to reduce their silent time. 15 minutes. 

As for me, I have always enjoyed the silence. I get up early each day and usually sit in silence drinking coffee for 15-45 minutes. No phone, no ipad, no writing or reading, just time to think, pray and plan my day. I also enjoy a long solo bike ride, a few hours bobbing on a surfboard in the ocean by myself or a long solo hike in the woods. I find silence as a way to clear my head and to rejuvenate my soul! 

Turn off that TV, silence your cell phone, take a break from social media and try getting back to nature. Spend some time alone in silence with the only person in the world you have full control of...you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment