Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Personal responsibility was something that my parents instilled in me at an early age. By the time I went off to college my parents wanted me to be physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually and financially ready for the world, as much as an 18-year-old can be. My wife Chris and I had the same goal for our two daughters. I have a good friend who says most of the world's problems are caused by bad parenting, or no parenting at all for those who may not have a mother or father. I think there is a lot of truth to that. 

It seems we live in a nation of victims. There's always someone to blame for our circumstances, someone to blame for us not getting the proper education, not having any faith, not being able to make a good living or have a good job, not having a good marriage, not having good relationships with others, not being able to stay fit and healthy. It always someone else's fault, the government, the left, the right, your mother, your father, your siblings. You get the picture. 

Well, for all those people, I say ... take a good look in the mirror. There is only one person in the world you have full control over ... it's you! You are the CEO of your life. You're ultimately responsible for your well-being. Certainly, we all experience challenges each day, but I find the folks who take full responsibility for their actions as they deal with a tough world, are the happiest and the healthiest. 

This message was inspired by the following. At the completion of each project we ask the project manager and superintendent to give feed back on every subcontractor that was on their project. The evaluation is sent to the owner of the company and it is meant to give feedback on how they did. Here is the response we got back last week from Prodigy Flooring in Tampa. 

Thank you for the past few years of partnership. It has been a great opportunity and is sincerely appreciated. Not only for Prodigy Flooring, but for me and my family as well. I would like to take a moment to address the attached evaluation that we received. I am embarrassed by our lack of performance on this job. We failed to man up when needed and we did a poor job managing quality control. I take full responsibility for the problems we encountered on this job. As an account manager, it is my job to see issues before they come to fruition and implement measures to stop them before they happen. My job is to make your job easier and I do not feel like I accomplished my job. I sincerely apologize. This evaluation is completely understood, and Prodigy will do everything in our power to ensure nothing like this happens again. Your success is our priority.

Wow! This guy gets it! In a world of excuses and "it's not my fault", it is refreshing to see and an individual and a company say "That's on me. We will do better"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment