Monday, June 8, 2020

I have always been a believer in a routine. Doing the same things over and over again, day after day, week after week can bring many positive effects. Things like exercise, eating the same healthy foods, drinking a set amount of water each day and going to bed the same time each night are all good habits, and part of a healthy routine. 

Having a routine also allows you to get some things done without really thinking about it. They just become a part of your routine. And by making part of your routine automatic, it actually frees up some time for creative thinking and the pursuit of extra-curricular activities. 

An example for me is the night before I ride my bike in the morning, I lay all my clothes out, my helmet, my water bottles, my gels and my cycle computer on the front table. I go ahead and pump my tires up. I check the weather. In the morning I am up and ready to go, all part of my routine. I'm also the guy who packs for a trip starting about a week out. I have a checklist for packing and by the time the trip rolls around, I'm ready to go. Our daughter Kelly starts to pack for a trip a month out! 

More than anything I have found that having many different routines takes the stress and anxiety out of getting things done. Routines help you meet deadlines and will keep you from being late.

I have been doing these "Thoughts for the Week" here at Williams Company for over 25 years now. They are a part of my routine. I know each Monday folks are wondering what this week's thought might be about. It has been interesting over the years to talk to folks about which ones have been meaningful to them. This routine will come to an end soon. I will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment